Reborn Indy Racer
Charles Bronson and his team at Boulevard Motorcar Company have returned the famed Cooper Miller racer back to its original 1927 configuration.
In 1913, Miller, based in California, started using engine he designed with aluminum pistons and engine blocks. The basic architecture design was based on the Peugeot racing engine. In this configuration, Miller automobiles would enjoy many years of successful racing in Indy Company. The twin overhead cam engine design would even inspire Bugatti to build a DOHC powerplant. Another innovation Miller feature was the use of a front-wheel drive setup.
This Indy Car was built by Earl Cooper and Harry Miller under the sponsorship of the Buick Motorcar Company. This car is known as the Cooper Miller.
Its first Indianapolis 500 race was in 1927 where it was piloted by Peter Kreis to a 17th place finish. Between 1927 through 1950, the car would compete in 19 of the 23 Indy races. The most successful finish for the Cooper Miller was a 10th place in 1930, when it was known as the 'Gauss Front Drive' and driven by Joe Huff. Other drivers who piloted this vehicle include Fred Frame, Dusty Fahrnow, Russ Snoberger, Ralph Hedburn, Doc Williams, Chet Miller, Tommy Boggs, Beinke & Tomei and Carl Foberg.
The car also participated in the 1927 Italian Grand Prix where it finished 3rd driven by Earl Cooper and Peter Kreis.
After its impressive racing career had come to an end, the car was eventually disassembled and sold in pieces to two collectors. For many years the car remained in two parts, with the engine and front drive together, and the chassis, steering box and other components with another collector. After managing to acquire both parts of the Cooper Miller racer, Charles Bronson and his team at Boulevard Motorcar Company, were able to reunite and restore the racer back to its original 1927 configuration.