1909 ALCO 9-60
• One of Just 12 ALCOs Known to Exist -Sympathetically Restored
• Built to an Unequalled Level of Quality -Large Displacement Dual-Chain Drive
• Superb Example of a Centenarian Brass Era Automobile
• Former Display at Indianapolis Hall of Fame Museum
The American Locomotive Company, or ALCO, was founded in 1901 by the amalgamation of eight smaller railroad companies in the Eastern US. ALCO built many of the colossal steam engines that plowed across the country and was operating full throttle by 1905, when the decision was made to diversify and expand into the automobile market.True to their intentions, from 1905 to 1913, ALCO produced some of Americas most expensive, superior quality, reliable, and high- performance road vehicles. As a promotional boast, the company asserted that it took 19 months to build each car. To add to the marques mystique, it was declared that many of the components were manufactured from vanadium an anti-fatigue metal that led to the ALCO catchphrase It Stays New!
Expense was no object and the locomotive- borne automobile was a combination of power and strength, to give it perfect balance and fitness for conquest of all roads. That motto came to include the race track when ALCOs own Henry Fortune Grant drove a race- prepared ALCO to 1909 and 1910 Vanderbilt Cup victories and competed in the Indianapolis 500 in 1911.The sticker price for an ALCO ran between $5,500 and $9,000, and when the company abruptly closed down its automobile production in 1913, it was calculated that even at these elevated prices, ALCO had lost $500 on every car it produced.
This 1909 ALCO 40 HP Runabout is now 105 years old and research has shown it to be one of as few as 12 surviving ALCO automobiles worldwide. However, this particular example is believed to be one of two or three surviving featuring the early dual-chain drive configuration, making it ultimately rare.
Although the history of this automobile is uncertain for its first 50 years of ownership, it was purchased from Mr. Curtis L. Blake of Springfield, Massachusetts, on March 24, 1961, by Anton Hulman for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum. At that time, it was obvious that the automobile had been carefully and authentically restored, and was proudly displayed for many years of the museums ownership.
The Runabout was then acquired by its current owner in 2011; and although the restoration is over 50 years old, the car remains in superior condition. The current owner has had the ALCO serviced and freshened, including a rebuild of the A coil and the wheels. In addition, the correct Solarclipse brass headlamps have been installed.
The engine is beautifully detailed, finished in green with copper cooling lines and brass fittings. This lovely Runabout features original gauges and clock, and magnificent brass brightwork that includes the correct lantern suspended on the rear. Presented in blue-green paint with pinstriping and brass accents, it features tan leather seats with a beige canvas top, which protects the front passengers.
This automobile is considered to be one of the highest quality vehicles of its era and, equipped with dual-chain drive, it is an artifact of great historical import and a remarkable example of the automotive Brass Era. Built over a century ago, when Taft was president and the average annual wage was $512, this ALCO is a grand survivor of the formative years of automobile history.
Although it has spent much of its existence in a museum, this ALCO begs to be shown and is appropriate for tours and events throughout the world. As one of just a dozen known remaining examples of the marque, its next caretaker will count himself among a very select group of peers.